Healing Mind, Body, and Spirit by Heather Barrett Schauers

"The real purpose of attaining better physical health and longer life is not just the mere enjoyment of a pain and disease free existence, but a higher, divine purpose for which life was given to us. All endeavors toward attaining better health would be wasted efforts unless the healthy body is used as a worthy temple in which the spirit will dwell and be developed. The purpose of our lives is not just the building of beautiful bodies, but perfecting and refining our divine spirit and becoming more God-like. I wish to emphasize that there is a divine nature and purpose to all life, and that the real reason for achieving good health and building a strong, healthy body, is to prepare a way for our spiritual growth and perfection." --Paavo Airola


Tuesday, October 11, 2016

September Wise Food Mind newsletter

Back to school

With school starting, one of the preparations on our checklist to do before the first day was a visit to the dentist. Each member of our family took a turn, and we are all happy to report that none of us has any tooth decay, gum disease or cavities! The dentist said to me in particular, "You obviously take care of yourself, and I don't just mean brushing and flossing." He went on to describe how healthy living and eating contribute to tooth vitality, he even got into a discussion about the benefits of limiting sugar intake. Ha ha, talk about preaching to the choir!
Virtue is defined as "a good or moral quality or ability." In the scriptures prophets exhort us to be diligent in developing faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, godliness, brotherly kindness, and charity. (2 Peter 1:4-8, D&C 4:5-6) so we can "escape the corruption that is in the world." Virtue includes moral cleanliness, uplifting thoughts, and "conforming one's life to moral and ethical principles" of any kind. Taking care of your physical and mental health I believe is part of living a life of virtue.
My kids got up late in the summer, opted not to have the breakfast I had made earlier that morning, and sometimes ate convenience foods. Now that school has begun they have to raise the bar of their performance. I have taught them the importance of having a healthy start so they can have optimism, resilience, and stamina. Thankfully they course corrected (somewhat as a surprise to me), they get up and eat what I make without complaining, and even seem to appreciate the breakfast I make. Never too late to strive to live a virtuous life.
Whatever stage of life you are in, take a "virtue" inventory of your eating. Be diligent to avoid corruption. I choose to get up every week day at 5:30 so I can have a healthy meal on the table by6:45 am, how do you choose to live a food life of virtue?

Remember that you can go to my websitewww.wisefoodmind.com and click on the recipe tab to direct you to a link that has all my simple healthy recipes on a shared PDF file.

I want to emphasize the importance of learning how to cook healthy whole foods from scratch, even if you don't eat that way for every meal. Knowing how much work goes into making food healthy and palatable gives us more appreciation for what we eat.

I like to have a mix of the old ways and the new ways--I use convenience foods when I can and whole organic foods when I can. For example, I have a lot of organic garden grown tomatoes and basil, so I make my own marinara, but I use store bought garlic, onions, other dry spices, and chicken stock. I make my own gluten free pizza crust, but I make it from a reputable GF Flour company's box mix. I am a strong advocate of taking advantage of the ways food preparation has been made easier in our day, as long as you maintain your personal food boundaries and optimal diet lifestyle.

For more information on how to eat clean for life, read Wise Food Mind available on Amazon.com or by clicking on the website link above.

No comments:

Post a Comment