Healing Mind, Body, and Spirit by Heather Barrett Schauers

"The real purpose of attaining better physical health and longer life is not just the mere enjoyment of a pain and disease free existence, but a higher, divine purpose for which life was given to us. All endeavors toward attaining better health would be wasted efforts unless the healthy body is used as a worthy temple in which the spirit will dwell and be developed. The purpose of our lives is not just the building of beautiful bodies, but perfecting and refining our divine spirit and becoming more God-like. I wish to emphasize that there is a divine nature and purpose to all life, and that the real reason for achieving good health and building a strong, healthy body, is to prepare a way for our spiritual growth and perfection." --Paavo Airola


Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Origin Story of my book



“Hey honey, this year I’ve made a goal to lift weights and get more toned!”

“Awesome! I’ve always wanted a more toned wife. I will do it with you.”

So began 2014, a pledge between my husband and myself to get up early every Tuesday and Thursday and turn on Jillian Michaels and pump iron. After two weeks of sore muscles and little results in muscle definition, my dizzy spells came back.

I’d been suffering with weird physical health issues for 3 years, and been trying to combat them with healthier food and more exercise, and I thought I’d done a pretty good job until I threw my body off balance trying to “get toned.”  My doctor was no help, in fact, because of my difficult mental health history, he tried to put me on Zoloft to get rid of the dizzy spells, head aches, and fatigue, even though I’d gotten through graduate school without any medication and certainly didn’t feel I needed any now.  I’d read books and been to cooking classes and completely eliminated overt sugars, why am I dizzy again?

I decided this time to turn to God, and I exercised as much faith as I could muster in asking Him to heal me. The result was a phone call from an acquaintance down the street. “Hey, I noticed you don’t serve refreshments or sugar at church meetings. I admire that! I have a book you might like.”

Oh, great, I thought. Another book from an anti-sugar extremist telling me all my problems are due to sugar. But it came to me after an exercise of faith…so I read “Sugar Blues” by William Dufty, and yes it was more anti-sugar circumlocution, but this time I felt it was an answer from heaven just for me. I started to change my diet with religious fervor.

My elimination of all overt, covert and refined sugars and grains started April 1st, and thus my adventure in pain was born. This was not a quick fix, and I was not patient. The only thing that kept me going was the indisputable fact that those dizzy spells left with the sugars. I wanted to quit many times, but “some miracles take time” kept replaying in my head and drowned out the opposition. My sweet sister actually took me aside and started crying because she was so worried I had let my anxieties about food become an obsession that would hurt me. And then there were the negative thoughts in my own head.

 “Why me? It’s not fair! Why is it ok for everyone else to eat bad and not for me?”

And then there were the problems, it seemed every negative health problem I fixed was replaced with a new problem: ovarian cysts, bloating, bowel irregularity, ulcers.  But if I ever tried to “go back” it was infinitely worse. And I couldn’t ignore the plus side, I did lose a lot of weight and had way more energy to lift weights, and I got way more toned! I didn’t seem to have those bi-monthly migraines any more.

I kept reading books, kept being led to more information that helped me understand my metabolic type and how to heal.  And…in February 2015 I started noticing lasting change. My passion for learning was back, in fact I felt smart again. My stomach was rarely bloated and I was more regular. I didn’t have the mood dysregulation I used to have and I didn’t have to spend all day in the kitchen preparing food. I was sleeping through the night consistently. I wanted to live instead of wanting to die! I felt like the miracle had arrived at last!

With patience and persistence, my story became a success story.

No comments:

Post a Comment