Healing Mind, Body, and Spirit by Heather Barrett Schauers

"The real purpose of attaining better physical health and longer life is not just the mere enjoyment of a pain and disease free existence, but a higher, divine purpose for which life was given to us. All endeavors toward attaining better health would be wasted efforts unless the healthy body is used as a worthy temple in which the spirit will dwell and be developed. The purpose of our lives is not just the building of beautiful bodies, but perfecting and refining our divine spirit and becoming more God-like. I wish to emphasize that there is a divine nature and purpose to all life, and that the real reason for achieving good health and building a strong, healthy body, is to prepare a way for our spiritual growth and perfection." --Paavo Airola


Thursday, April 24, 2014

Impatient

August 6 1994 (Age 16)
I had an experience the other day that proved to be an eye opener. I was shopping with my mom, Grandma and Grandpa Rappleye. I can't really explain how miserable I was because it was partly my fault. I was so insane when I got home because my mom, gma and gpa are the slowest people I have ever encountered. To make a long boring story short, I realized that everything I've ever experienced negatively is because I am the most IMPATIENT person in the world. Its my nature. That's the sad part. It is the single hardest thing I will have to overcome in life. For example, If I were more patient:
-I could smile in times I'm down, something I've never been able to do
-I could handle my sisters WAY better
-I could take things one step at a time, instead of trying to finish before I end
-I could be a better listener
-I could better handle a child
-I could understand others easier
-I wouldn't always put myself down
-I'd be a better driver
-I'd be more relaxed when it's time to be somewhere
-I could handle work better
-Maybe be more serviceful
I could go on but the point I'm trying to make is, I've found the link to help me through life. That in itself was hard, putting it in my life will be a challenge, I think I can I think I can I think I can. I can overcome it if I'm aware.  

I was aware, but I hadn't found the link to what would cure the impatience yet.  For whatever reason I was born in a hurry. Hurry and grow, hurry and learn, hurry and live, even at times I've wanted to hurry and die.
And hurry and digest. If my insides were more patient I would be better at digesting food, better at storing fats, better at converting glucose into glycogen.  And here's food for thought, eating sugary high carb foods made me more impatient! How? Because there is a relationship between when your blood sugar drops and your mood.  Mood follows blood glucose. Blood glucose drops, mood drops. Blood glucose goes up, mood goes up. That's why so many of us crave sweets, we like to feel good.  But the faster the glucose uptake, the quicker the good mood but the quicker the crash to a bad mood.  I wasn't letting my body act on its own behalf! No wonder I hadn't mastered the art of patience, and I didn't for many many years, and I'm still working on it, but I will. 
Leslie Korn, a PhD in nutrition science and mental health said: “[People who are] fast oxidizers burn glucose too rapidly, and they require the protein and fats to slow it down. The slow oxidizers don’t burn it rapidly enough, and do better on a higher carbohydrate vegetarian diet. Then there are the mixed types. Nature provides a wonderful blend to balance out the whole being.  Reduce toxic foods, inflammatory food, dead food, additives, and preservatives (especially with children) because they are neuro-toxic. We make most of our neurotransmitters in our gut not our brain. Increasing clean healthy food in the gut improves GABA receptors in brain, and GABA increases our sense of well being, which improves sleep and relaxation.
I can safely say I am a Fast Oxidizer. Or an impatient glucose burner. My parents called it a fast metabolism, and it explains the skinniness. There is not any one diet that is perfect for all people. Every person has a unique culture and our ancestors evolved and thrived on different types of food, and even within families there are different metabolic types. You have to find the metabolic type diet that works for you.  For me it's one high in protein and rich nutrient dense foods. And NO SUGAR. 
Being a fast oxidizer makes the dangers of sugar more detrimental to my body than a slow oxidizer, but that doesn't make it a good food.  All the good stuff has been extracted from sugar in our modern day foods. Loss of good quality fats is also a problem; neuro-toxic sugar and fats--combined with stress of modern life--are behind epidemic of mental illness.  Sugar cane was once medicine, rich in fiber and B vitamins, but extract these and it becomes poison.  Same as with cocoa leaves, the people of South America chewed cocoa leaves for its health benefits, but extract the good stuff and it becomes cocaine which is poison for the body. Whether you are a fast oxidizer or a slow oxidizer, do your body a favor and eat food in it natural state vs concentrated state.  

“Sugar is not a good food, it should be absolutely eliminated from the diet.” Leslie  Korn, PhD, MPH, LMHC

No comments:

Post a Comment