Healing Mind, Body, and Spirit by Heather Barrett Schauers

"The real purpose of attaining better physical health and longer life is not just the mere enjoyment of a pain and disease free existence, but a higher, divine purpose for which life was given to us. All endeavors toward attaining better health would be wasted efforts unless the healthy body is used as a worthy temple in which the spirit will dwell and be developed. The purpose of our lives is not just the building of beautiful bodies, but perfecting and refining our divine spirit and becoming more God-like. I wish to emphasize that there is a divine nature and purpose to all life, and that the real reason for achieving good health and building a strong, healthy body, is to prepare a way for our spiritual growth and perfection." --Paavo Airola


Monday, May 5, 2014

The Miracle

Thursday April 3, 2014
 
OK Jesse, a couple years ago you told me you were 99% sure you were hypoglycemic, but the question that really bothered you is, what is causing the hypoglycemia? You've also wondered why our body's are sleep dependent, like we are trying to desperately restore our systems that have been somehow damaged by our desperation to fuel ourselves. I think, for me, I've found or am really close to an answer, and it's so simple its kind of laughable: stop eating sugar and refined carbohydrates. 
 
As you know I went to my primary physician multiple times and to a cardiologist and all my efforts were dead ends. From their exams I looked in perfect health. I read "The pH Miracle" and "Hypoglycemia: a better approach" (which I recommended to you) and both books agreed on one point, smaller meals and almost complete abstinence from sugar would improve health of those with negative health symptoms such as mine. I tried to listen to my body and experimented on different diet restrictions, and only started to improve when I was eliminating most sugar and eating lots of vegetables and moderate amounts of protein. 2013 my strength was improved so much that I thought I'd done it, I'm on the mend.

This year 2014 I started lifting weights, confident that now I could do things that normal people do to strengthen their bodies.  In January and Feb I started deteriorating again, had bad depression, anxiety, fatigue, and those darn dizzy spells; I had thrown off my body's balance somehow by the extra exercise and it made me upset.  You introduced me to "The Bitter Truth" lecture and I started wondering again about sugar intake, but I had been eating hardly any sugar I thought, so maybe it was a fatty acid metabolic disorder. It was so discouraging to again feel something was wrong and not know what it was!  I resolved to see an endocrinologist again and prayed sincerely and frequently about who to see.  The only person I was able to reach in my efforts was that Dr. Brinton, who kindly talked with me 20 minutes on the phone, and his counsel was he thought I did not have a Fatty Acid Oxidation Disorder, but I should continue moderating my diet and don't buy expensive food supplements and don't seek doctors who will take your money and try to find something wrong. I took this as an answer to prayer, although I didn't like the answer, because it was another dead end.  How could I possibly regulate it any more than I am?  I decided to turn to the Lord, and instead of calling more doctors as my neighbors suggested, I prayed and read the scriptures, which all seemed to suggest to me that if I had faith I could be healed.  The New Testament and the Doctrine and Covenants specifically kept shooting that message at me. When I read D&C 42:43 "And whosoever among you are sick, and have not faith to be healed, but believe, shall be nourished with all tenderness, with herbs and mild food, and that not by the hand of an enemy" I had had enough. It was as if the Lord was challenging me to have the faith enough to heal. I felt like He was saying, "if you don't have faith to be healed that's OK, I still love you, just keep eating your mild diet because I know you at least believe, but you'll never be all the way better that way." I knew what I had to do, I had to take my dad and husband off guard so they couldn't premeditate what to say and ask them for a healing blessing.  I wanted to show the Lord I had perfect faith to be healed since I had done "everything" in my power that I could think of to help myself.
On March 28, Trevan's baptism day, I drummed up my courage and asked for the blessing. Dad was surprised, and Jared was indifferent, but they kindly consented. Dad blessed me to continue learning and finding knowledge on how to heal.  I was disappointed, I don't know what I was expecting but despite my best efforts at showing faith I wasn't miraculously healed, I was just as tired and dizzy and anxious that day as ever.  And I felt really dumb for thinking I wouldn't be.  The very next day a lady in our ward called me out of the blue and said she admired me not giving treats in choir, and she has been very aware of how much damage we are all doing to our bodies with sugar intake, and she asked me if could she bring me a book and send me some quotes. I agreed, and she brought me Sugar Blues by William Dufty, which I threw on my dresser and didn't look at for 3 days.  I thought, "Oh good, another anti sugar extremest I will have to read through all his overgeneralizing garbage to weed out the truth, I don't know if I'll even read it."  I felt exhausted at the thought of opening that book.

Monday I was feeling very down, each night I'd been tormented by thoughts of how foolish I was to think I could be healed.  I sent dad a email thanking him for the blessing, and that I think the Lord isn't healing me because there is something I can do to heal myself still but I don't know what that is.  Dad said "I feel that He can heal you from the Knowledge that he will send  you.  I believe He will soon."  Immediately I thought of the book Kari gave me, hmmm maybe that was the knowledge, the timing was too impeccable to ignore.  So I spent the whole morning reading Sugar Blues.  I skimmed a lot of the historical sections, but what I read the Spirit whispered to me "It is true." Dufty's message was that sugar is the cause of many modern day maladies, including mental health problems, and if there is something out of what in your health its mostly liked caused by the standard American diet.  Sugar and refined processed foods weren't just exacerbating my already existing mystery illness, they were causing my health problems and "hypoglycemic complex." Eliminate them and theoretically I would be in the state of perfect health my doctor keeps claiming I should be in.  "Could it be that simple?" I thought.  I opened my fridge; jam, salsa, sauces, condiments, dressings, bread, rice, pasta, then the pantry, popcorn, chips, granola, ramen, cereal, it's still here.  Yes I eat more wholesome foods and vegetables, yes I stay away from dessert and candy and soda, but it's not enough, I'm still intaking on a daily basis high fructose in my teryaki stir fry, maladextrose in my mayonnaise, fructose in dressings, etc etc, not to mention how often I've cheated on white bread since I stopped making my own wheat bread.  I slapped my head, sugar is my enemy.  It's depleting me and causing an imbalance my mind and body, and Sugar Blues helped me understand why; for me I had found my answer. That day I realized I wasn't in balance and wasn't better because I was STILL EATING SUGAR!

April 1 I stopped it. I went through two days of withdrawal symptoms, mainly feeling cravings and tremors and hunger after I'd just eaten, but since I already had eliminated hard sugar I had a lot of cognitive coping tools in place to deal with the symptoms.  I threw away our brown and white sugar, and once the cereal, white bread, etc is consumed (by Jared and kids) and the sauces done, that's it, I refuse to buy another product that contains any form of processed sugar. I will not create imbalance in my children or myself, they will probably hate me for it, but if they will go with me on it I will have saved them from what I believe is Satan's biggest trap and lie of our age: "refined sugar is useful energy and there is no harm in consuming it."

Since you have been my support and ally on this journey I wanted to let you know where I was headed.  We have been raised on white bread and ovaltine, ramen and cereal, cake and ice cream, so it's going to be hard to see those for the poisons they are and let our bodies become whole again through intaking only whole foods. I won't blame you if you can't go there right now, I remember how tough it was when I was trying the alkaline diet, I got a lot of resistance from well meaning people.  The stinger was "Has a doctor told you you have to eat only alkaline foods?" No.  And I love the pointers, "The church tells us to store flour and sugar, and it's not in the word of wisdom to abstain from sugar."  That's true. I don't know why the Lord hasn't warned the saints about the dangers of sugar, from where I'm standing right now it would be better to eat grass and meat in an emergency than deplete your system with sugar and flour, so a lot of people will view me as extreme, just like I viewed the alkaline authors.  I don't know all the answers, but I know he gave me an answer.  At the very lest, please read Sugar Blues and tell me what you think about it. I will attach some quotes from it as well so you can kind of see what its about.



Quotes from “Sugar Blues” by William Dufty
In a poorly functioning organism, the swings in blood glucose level are much more extreme. If the insulin supplied by the pancreas is excessive, too much glucose will be converted to glycogen. The blood glucose level will fall and remain low. This condition is called hyperinsulinism.
Degrees of sugar abuse and sugar blues vary [by individual].  However, the body does not lie. If you take sugar, you feel the consequences [from allergies to adrenal dysfunction, acne to fatigue, mental illness to metabolism.]
A condition in which the blood sugar level is relatively low tends to starve the body’s cells, especially the brain cells. What happens to us when our cells are chronically undernourished? The weakest, most vulnerable cells (the brain) suffer first.
Refined sugar is lethal when ingested by humans because it drains and leeches the body of precious vitamins and minerals through the demand its digestion, detoxification, and elimination make upon one’s entire system.
Sugar taken every day produces a continuously over acid condition, and more and more minerals are required from deep in the body to rectify the imbalance.
Definition of poison; any substance applied to the body, ingested, or developed within the body which causes or may cause disease. Sugar is classified as a poison because it has depleted the body of its life forced, vitamins, and minerals.
Mental illness is a myth, emotional disturbances can be merely the first symptom of the obvious inability of the human system to handle the stress of sugar dependency.
To make a man whole again, he has only to eat whole food.
In 200 cases under treatment for lack of adequate adrenal cortical hormone production Dr. Tintera discovered the chief complains of these patients were similar to those found in persons whose systems were unable to handle sugar: Fatigue, nervousness, depression, apprehension, craving for sweets, inability to concentrate, low blood pressure.  He laid out a cure for return to normal function: a sweeping permanent injunction against sugar in all forms and guises.
As a steady diet, sugar is WORSE than nothing. Plain water can keep you alive for quite some time. Sugar and water can kill you.
It is quite possible to improve your disposition, increase your efficiency, and change your personality for the better. The what to do it is to avoid can and beet sugar in all forms an guises.
The words holy, whole, healthy all stem from the same rood. A whole food is holy intended to protect the health of man. Sugar is not a whole food.
After years of glucose/sucrose overload, the end result is damaged adrenals. When stress comes our way we no longer have a healthy endocrine system to cope with it. Efficiency lags, we’re always tied, never seem to get anything done.

Quotes from  “Hypoglycemia: A better approach” by Paavo Airola
The primary dietary indiscretion that contributes to the development of hypoglycemia is a diet too high in refined starches and refined white sugar.  This is completely incredible nutritional folly; nothing less than an act of unintentional national suicide. White flour and white sugar are referred to by concerned scientist as the “white poisons” and the “white plague” of the civilized world.
Experts…have indicated excessive consumption of refined carbohydrates not only as the major cause of our physical degeneration, but also as a major contributing factor in the increased rate of crime and drug addiction and in the epidemic of deterioration of our mental and moral health.
White sugar and flour are not whole, natural foods. They are refined, fragmented, adulterated, and denatured. All minerals, vitamins, all terrace elements, enzymes, fatty acids, and amino acids have been removed in the process of refining the sugar, the final result is a pure crystallized form of sucrose, a white pharmaceutically pure chemical.
Eating white sugar and white flour presents three problems:
1.      Eating such denatured foods will inevitably lead to nutritional deficiencies.
2.      Since our bodies are genetically and physiologically equipped to effectively metabolize only natural whole foods, eating fragmented refined foods from which essential energystic and complex elements have been removed will lead to metabolic disorders and biochemical imbalances.
3.      Since our bodies are not equipped to process refined concentrated foods, continuous ingestion of them will exert a great strain on many organs and glands. The continuous strain and abuse of these organs can damage them and cause their paralysis. And malfunction.
White sugar is not only and empty calorie food, stripped from all the vitamins and minerals, but in order to digest and process (metabolize) it, the body must use its own supplies of minerals an vitamins, which may lead to both deficiencies and imbalances in the body’s own stores of vital nutrients.

Quotes from “The pH Miracle” by Robert and Shelley Young
Sugar is an acid waste product created in the body as a result of metabolism. And it causes healthy body cells to biologically transform into bacteria and yeast. Sugars feed biological transformation like gasoline feeds a fire. The more sugar the body gets, the more harmful microforms evolve internally and the faster they will reproduce. And the faster they reproduce, the more they are decomposing and fermenting your body from the inside.
Contrary to popular belief, the body does not need sugar. It needs energy or electrons, and energy comes from [whole foods]. You will find some sugar in vegetables, but our organs are much more able to handle these gentle vegetable sugars, and can eliminate them efficiently.
Be sure not to replace sugar with artificial sweeteners, which are just as bad or worse. The bad guys include asparatame, saccharine, neotame, sucralose, acesulfame, and cyclamates (nutrasweet, sweetnlow, splenda, sunnet, sweet&safe, sweet one). They all break down into  deadly acids in the body.
A wide variety of symptoms can be cause by artificial sweeteners, including headaches, migraines, dizziness, vertigo, seizures, depression, fatigue, irritability, increased heart rate, heart palpitations, insomnia, vision problems, hearing loss, ringing in the ears, weight gain, numbness, muscle spasms, joint pain, breathing difficulties, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, and loss of taste. Artificial sweeteners can also trigger or worsen arthritis, chronic fatigue, diabetes, fibromyalgia, brain tumors, MS, Parkinson’s , Alzheimer’s, systemic lupus, etch. Don’t let them into your body to do their worst.
Ideally you’ll skip all forms of sugar.
Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) and high blood sugar (diabetes), which are really just low energy and high acidity, are rampant today and devastate a lot of lives. They both stem from –surprise!—dietary and metabolic acids and microform overgrowth. Sugar’s mycotoxins and exotoxins penetrate, overwork, and poison the pancreas, liver and adrenal glands (among others).
A single dose of sugar will affect the cells of the body for up to two weeks.

 Leslie  Korn, PhD, MPH, LMHC
“Our fast oxidizers burn glucose too rapidly, and they require the protein and fats to slow it down. The slow oxidizers don’t burn it rapidly enough, and do better on a higher carbohydrate vegetarian diet. Then there are the mixed types. Nature provides a wonderful blend to balance out the whole being.  Reduce toxic foods, inflammatory food, dead food, additives, and preservatives (especially with children) because they are neuro-toxic. We make most of our neurotransmitters in our gut not our brain. Increasing clean healthy food in the gut improves GABA receptors in brain, and GABA increases our sense of well being, which improves sleep and relaxation.
“Sugar is not a good food, it should be absolutely eliminated from the diet.”

No comments:

Post a Comment